I turn 20 in under 2 months.
I’ve never felt so weird about turning a new age. I am SO excited to enter a new decade, but that thought also scares the sh*t out of me.
And in my (almost) 20 years of being alive, I have learnt so much. No, not all that bullsh*t in school that we are forced to be taught. I mean, lessons in life. So much has happened in my 20 years of existence, both good and bad, and it’s highly overwhelming. I have made amazing memories with some incredible people, I achieved a good education, Learnt how to be a beauty therapist, sang in front of crowds. I’ve also had to deal with heartbreak, my parents divorcing, I struggle with anxiety & depression. My life is so mixed. And I’m STILL learning, today.
But so far, this is what I’ve learnt…
- Family is everything – At the end of the day, they are your family. They are yours and you are theirs. They love you no matter what or who you are.
- Less friends is better – I’ve gained and lost friends, however, I have realised now that having a small handful of amazing, trustworthy friends is all I’ll ever need.
- Love is the most important thing – Whether it’s family, friends, a partner, a passion. It all comes down to love. Always. (cringe)
- Being sad is normal – You’re not gonna be happy every single day. Its ok to be down sometimes.
- Getting hurt is inevitable – People are gonna hurt you. People are gonna break your heart.
- You’ll get over that boy – I’ve wasted TOO much time crying over boys, wondering how and when I’ll get over them. But I did. And that’s great! (so f**k them HAHA)
- I’m pretty nice
- You’re gonna get lost – There have been so many times where I am just lost & have no clue what path to take my life down. And that’s all part of growing up.
- Self-love is so important – I’ve said it a million times.
- Being kind goes a long way – The world needs more kind people. If you can’t find one, be one.
- You’re gonna change a lot – From primary school, to secondary school, to being in college, to starting to get my life together, I have changed and grown as a person so much & am still continuing to do so.
- Worrying is a waste of time – It kills joy, it caused anxiety, it takes away happiness. There is no reason for it.
- Don’t compare yourself to others – What I am still trying to work on today is not to compare to others. The way I look, the life I lead, the type of person I am. I’m learning to not compare.
- Forget what people think of you – Again, something I am still working on. People can say whatever they want about me. My job is to not give a f**k.
- Life will always have struggles – These struggles are necessary to help us grow as people.
- I’m actually a good human being – I’ve learnt more and more about the type of person I am & to be quite honest, I grow happier, gladder & prouder everyday because of it. I’m a good person.
- Always be positive – Through the struggles and the hard times, staying positive and keep your chin up can help massively.
- I can create something brilliant with my life – No matter where I take it, my life can be amazing and I can achieve great things.
- Everything actually f**king DOES happen for a reason – yes, it’s cliché and a bit cringe, but I can’t express how much I strongly believe in this.
- Happiness NEEDS to come first – All that matters is that I am happy.
And who knows where I’ll be in 10 years, reminiscing the last decade I have yet to enter.